This is my monthly summary of my free software related activities. If you’re among the people who made a donation to support my work (86.18 €, thanks everybody!), then you can learn how I spent your money. Otherwise it’s just an interesting status update on my various projects.
Package Tracking System^U Distro Tracker
Marko Lalic implemented quite a few interesting features in the last weeks of the Google Summer of Code (support of teams most notably). Unfortunately he didn’t deploy (yet) the latest changes on pts.debian.net.
Given the good work he made over the summer, I marked him as successful in his GSOC. Hopefully he will stick around and continue to contribute, he promised to try to handle some mass renaming that we agreed upon. Effectively, after much bike-shedding, I decided that the software would be called “Distro Tracker”.
Once those last-minute cleanups are done, I plan to request “tracker.debian.org” to Debian System Administrators. This means that it will be deployed in parallel to the current PTS at least until we’re at feature parity in the new codebase.
The new codebase should be much more easy to get started with, so I should do some promotion and invite people to contribute to it… possibly by writing some short “how to get started” documentation.
I started by creating a dedicated wiki page: http://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/distro-tracker
I got two REJECTs from ftpmasters this month (one for galette, one for dolibarr). I took care of fixing the various issues in galette and the package has been promptly accepted afterwards. For dolibarr, I mentored the upstream maintainer about the various problems and got him to fix it. It took a bit more time and the package is thus still in NEW.
I packaged wordpress 3.6, and then wordpress 3.6.1 (security update). python-django also had multiple security updates this month, I took care of one or two uploads but Luke Faraone dealt with most of them (including backports to Squeeze!).
I packaged Publican 3.6.1 and uploaded dh-linktree 0.4 to fix a FTBFS issue introduced with Perl 5.18.
Of anecdotal importance, but I also filed bug #721849 after seeing how much energy was spent to ensure debian/rules didn’t contain an improper copyright statement.
See you next month for a new summary of my activities.