My monthly report covers a large part of what I have been doing in the free software world. I write it for my donators (thanks to them!) but also for the wider Debian community because it can give ideas to newcomers and it’s one of the best ways to find volunteers to work with me on projects that matter to me.
This months is rather light since I was away in vacation for two weeks.
Kali related work
The new pkg-security team is working full steam and I reviewed/sponsored many packages during the month: polenum, accheck, braa, t50, ncrack, websploit.
I filed bug #834515 against sbuild since sbuild-createchroot was no longer usable for kali-rolling due to the embedded dash. That misfeature has been reverted and implemented through an explicit option.
I brought the attention of ftpmasters on #832163 since we had unexpected packages in the standard section (they have been discovered in the Kali live ISO while we did not want them).
I uploaded two fontconfig NMU to finally push to Debian a somewhat cleaner fix for the problem of various captions being displayed as squares after a font upgrade (see #828037 and #835142).
I tested (twice) a live-build patch from Adrian Gibanel Lopez implementing EFI boot with grub and merged it into the official git repository (see #731709).
I filed bug #835983 on python-pypdf2 since it has an invalid dependency forbidding co-installation with python-pypdf.
I orphaned splint since its maintainer was missing in action (MIA) and immediately made a QA upload to fix the RC bug which kicked it out of testing (this package is a build dependency of a Kali package).
I wrote a patch to make python-django-jsonfield compatible with Django 1.10 (#828668) and I committed that patch in the upstream repository.
I made some changes to make the codebase compatible with Django 1.10 (and added Django 1.10 to the tox test matrix). I added a “Debian Maintainer Dashboard” link next to people’s name on request of Lucas Nussbaum (#830548).
I made a preliminary review of Paul Wise’s patch to add multiarch hints (#833623) and improved the handling of the mailbot when it gets MIME Headers referencing an unknown charset (like “cp-850”, Python only knows of “cp850”)
I also helped Peter Palfrader to enabled a .onion address for tracker.debian.org, see onion.debian.org for the full list of services available over Tor.
I updated my letsencrypt.sh salt formula to work with the latest version of letsencrypt.sh (0.2.0)
I merged updated translations for the Debian Administrator’s Handbook from weblate.org and uploaded a new version to Debian.
See you next month for a new summary of my activities.