My monthly report covers a large part of what I have been doing in the free software world. I write it for my donors (thanks to them!) but also for the wider Debian community because it can give ideas to newcomers and it’s one of the best ways to find volunteers to work with me on projects that matter to me.
I was allocated 10 hours to work on security updates for Debian 7 Wheezy. During this time I did the following:
- I reviewed multiple CVE affecting ntp and opted to mark them no-dsa (just like what has been done for jessie).
- I pinged upstream authors of jbig2dec (here) and XML::Twig (by private email) where the upstream report had not gotten any upstream reply yet.
- I asked on oss-security for more details about CVE-2016-9584 because it was not clear whether it had already been reported upstream. Turns out that it was. I then updated the security tracker accordingly.
- Once I got a reply on jbig2dec, I started to backport the patch pointed out by upstream, it was hard work. When I was done, I had also received by private email the fuzzed file at the origin of the report… unfortunately that file did not trigger the same problem with the old jbig2dec version in wheezy. That said valgrind still identified read outside of allocated memory. At this point I had a closer look at the git history only to discover that the last 3 years of work consisted mainly of security fixes for similar cases that were never reported to CVE. I thus opened a discussion about how to handle this situation.
- Matthias Geerdsen reported in #852610 a regression in libtiff4. I confirmed the problem and spent multiple hours to come up with a fix. The patch that introduced the regression was Debian-specific as upstream did not fix those issues yet. I released a fixed package in DLA-610-2.
With the deep freeze approaching, I made some last-minute updates:
- schroot 1.6.10-3 fixing some long-standing issues with the way bind mounts are shared (#761435) and other important fixes.
- live-boot 1:20170112 to fix a failure when booting on a FAT filesystem and other small fixes.
- live-config 5.20170112 merging useful patches from the BTS.
- I finished the update of hashcat 3.30 with its new private library and fixed RC bug #851497 at the same time. The work was initiated by fellow members of the pkg-security team.
Sponsorship. I sponsored a new asciidoc upload demoting a dependency into a recommends (#850301). I sponsored a new upstream version of dolibarr.
Discussions. I seconded quite a few changes prepared by Russ Allbery on debian-policy. I helped Scott Kitterman with #849584 about a misunderstanding of how the postfix service files are supposed to work. I discussed in #849913 about a regression in building of cross-compilers, and made a patch to avoid the problem. In the end, Guillem developed a better fix.
Bugs. I investigated #850236 where a django test failed during the first week after each leap year. I filed #853224 on desktop-base about multiple small problems in the maintainer scripts.
See you next month for a new summary of my activities.