My monthly report covers a large part of what I have been doing in the free software world. I write it for my donors (thanks to them!) but also for the wider Debian community because it can give ideas to newcomers and it’s one of the best ways to find volunteers to work with me on projects that matter to me.
I was allocated 12 hours to work on security updates for Debian 7 Wheezy. During this time I did the following:
- Released DLA-983-1 and DLA-984-1 on tiff3/tiff to fix 4 CVE. I also updated our patch set to get back in sync with upstream since we had our own patches for a while and upstream ended up using a slightly different approach. I checked that the upstream fix did really fix the issues with the reproducer files that were available to us.
- Handled CVE triage for a whole week.
- Released DLA-1006-1 on libarchive (2 CVE fixed by Markus Koschany, one by me).
Django. A last-minute update to Django in stretch before the release, I uploaded python-django 1:1.10.7-2 fixing two bugs (among which one was release critical) and filed the corresponding unblock request.
schroot. I tried to prepare another last-minute update, this time for schroot. The goal was to fix the bash completion (#855283) and a problem encountered by the Debian sysadmins (#835104). Those issues are fixed in unstable/testing but my unblock request got turned into a post-release stretch update because the release managers wanted to give the package some more testing time in unstable. Even now, they are wondering whether they should accept the new systemd service file.
live-build, live-config and live-boot. On live-build, I merged a patch to add a keyboard shortcut for the advanced option menu entry (#864386). For live-config, I uploaded version 5.20170623 to fix a broken boot sequence when you have multiple partitions (#827665). For live-boot, I uploaded version 1:20170623 to fix the path to udevadm (#852570) and avoiding a file duplication in the initrd (864385).
logidee-tools. This is a package I authored a long time ago and that I’m no longer actively using. It does still work but I sometimes wonder if it still has real users. Anyway I wanted to quickly replace the broken dependency on pgf but I ended up converting the Subversion repository to Git and I also added autopkgtests. At least those tests will inform me when the package no longer works… otherwise I would not notice since I’m no longer using it.
Bugs filed. I filed #865531 on lintian because the new check testsuite-autopkgtest-missing is giving some bad advice and probably does its check in a bad way. I also filed #865541 on sbuild because
sbuild --apt-distupgrade can under some circumstances remove build-essential and break the build chroot. I filed an upstream ticket on publican to forward the request I received in #864648.
Sponsorship. I sponsored a jessie update for php-tcpdf (#814030) and dolibarr 5.0.4+dfsg3-1 for unstable. I sponsored many other packages, but all in the context of the pkg-security team.
Now that the Stretch freeze is over, the team became more active again and I have been overwhelmed with the number of packages to review and sponsor:
I also updated hashcat to a new upstream release (3.6.0) and had to discuss with upstream about its weird versioning change. Looks like we will have to introduce an epoch to be able to get back in sync with upstream. 🙁 To be able to get in sync with Kali, I introduced an hashcat-meta source package (in contrib) providing hashcat-nvidia to make it easy to install hashcat for owners of NVidia hardware.
Distro Tracker. I merged a small CSS fix from Aurélien Couderc (#858101) and added a missing constraint on the data model (found through an unexpected traceback that I received by email). I also updated the list of repositories shortly after the stretch release (#865070).
Salt formulas. As part of my Kali work, I did setup a build daemon on Debian stretch host and I encountered a couple of issues with my Salt rules. I reported one against salt-formula (here) and I pushed updates for debootstrap-formula, apache-formula and schroot-formula.
See you next month for a new summary of my activities.