My monthly report covers a large part of what I have been doing in the free software world. I write it for my donors (thanks to them!) but also for the wider Debian community because it can give ideas to newcomers and it’s one of the best ways to find volunteers to work with me on projects that matter to me.
This month I was allocated 12h and I had two hours left but I only spent 13h. During this time, I managed the LTS frontdesk during one week, reviewing new security issues and classifying the associated CVE (18 commits to the security tracker).
I also released DLA-1205-1 on simplesamlphp fixing 6 CVE. I prepared and released DLA-1207-1 on erlang with the help of the maintainer who tested the patch that I backported. I handled tkabber but it turned out that the CVE report was wrong, I reported this to MITRE who marked the CVE as DISPUTED (see CVE-2017-17533).
During my CVE triaging work, I decided to mark mp3gain and libnet-ping-external-perl as unsupported (the latter has been removed everywhere already). I re-classified the suricata CVE as not worth an update (following the decision of the security team). I also dropped global from dla-needed as the issue was marked unimportant but I still filed #884912 about it so that it gets tracked in the BTS.
I filed #884911 on ohcount requesting new upstream (fixing CVE) and update of homepage field (that is misleading in current package). I dropped jasperreports from dla-needed.txt as issues are undetermined and upstream is uncooperative, instead I suggested to mark the package as unsupported (see #884907).
Misc Debian Work
Debian Installer. I suggested to switch to isenkram instead of discover for automatic package installation based on recognized hardware. I also filed a bug on isenkram (#883470) and asked debian-cloud for help to complete the missing mappings.
Packaging. I sponsored asciidoc 8.6.10-2 for Joseph Herlant. I uplodaded new versions of live-tools and live-build fixing multiple bugs that had been reported (many with patches ready to merge). Only #882769 required a bit more work to track down and fix. I also uploaded dh-linktree 0.5 with a new feature contributed by Paul Gevers. By the way, I no longer use this package so I will happily give it over to anyone who needs it.
QA team. When I got my account on salsa.debian.org (a bit before the announce of the beta phase), I created the group for the QA team and setup a project for distro-tracker.
Bug reports. I filed #884713 on approx, requesting that systemd’s approx.socket be configured to not have any trigger limit.
Following the switch to Python 3 by default, I updated the packaging provided in the git repository. I’m now also providing a systemd unit to run gunicorn3 for the website.
I merged multiple patches of Pierre-Elliott Bécue fixing bugs and adding a new feature (vcswatch support!). I fixed a bug related to the lack of a link to the experimental build logs and a bit of bug triaging.
I also filed two bugs against DAK related to bad interactions with the package tracker: #884930 because it does still use packages.qa.debian.org to send emails instead of tracker.debian.org. And #884931 because it sends removal mails to too many email addresses. And I filed a bug against the tracker (#884933) because the last issue also revealed a problem in the way the tracker handles removal mails.
See you next month for a new summary of my activities.