My monthly report covers a large part of what I have been doing in the free software world. I write it for my donors (thanks to them!) but also for the wider Debian community because it can give ideas to newcomers and it’s one of the best ways to find volunteers to work with me on projects that matter to me.
I reviewed and merged 14 merge requests from multiple contributors:
- Add unit tests to team-related views (Arthur Del Esposte)
- Display component (main/contrib/non-free) of source package (Chirath R)
- Add debci link in links panel (Lucas Kanashiro)
- Use proper plural formal depending on the number of commits since last upload (James Clarke)
- Support next parameter in login url to redirect after login (Chirath R)
- Display transitive reverse dependencies in autoremoval action item (Lucas Kanashiro)
- Fail gracefully when adding the same email twice into a team (Arthur Del Esposte)
- Switch handling of britney’s excuses to use its YAML file instead of parsing the raw HTML (Pierre-Elliott Bécue and Christophe Siraut)
- Use friendlier news URL that include the title (Arthur Del Esposte)
- Accept trailing slash on news URL (Arthur Del Esposte)
- Improve description of autoremoval action items by adding links to buggy dependencies (Arthur Del Esposte)
- Refactoring: rename PackageExtractedInfos into PackageData (Pierre-Elliott Bécue)
- Fix regression in UpdatesExcusesTask (Pierre-Elliott Bécue)
- Add missing version to some long description of autoremovals action items (Pierre-Elliott Bécue)
On top of this, I updated the Salsa/AliothMigration wiki page with information about how to best leverage tracker.debian.org when you migrate to salsa.
I also filed a few issues for bugs or things that I’d like to see improved:
- A few thoughts on how to redesign the “Task” mechanism
- Failure in /accounts/confirm/*token* due to multiple authentication backends
- Regression in UpdateExcusesTask (that got quickly fixed by Pierre Elliot Bécue, see above)
I also gave my feedback about multiple mockups prepared by Chirath R in preparation of his Google Summer of Code project proposal.
Security Tools Packaging Team
Following the departure of alioth, the new list that we requested on lists.debian.org has been created: https://lists.debian.org/debian-security-tools/
I updated (in the git repositories) all the Vcs-* and all the Maintainer fields of the packages maintained by the team.
I prepared and uploaded afflib 3.7.16-3 to fix RC bug #892599. I sponsored rhash 1.3.6 for Aleksey Kravchenko, ccrypt 1.10-5 for Alexander Kulak and ledger-wallets-udev 0.1 for Stephne Neveu.
This project also saw an unexpected resurgence of activity and I had to review and merge many merge requests:
- live-boot: better handling of resolv.conf containing only comments
- live-build: UEFI boot support for ARM64
- live-boot: fix to cope with varying output of ifconfig
- live-boot: reintroduce “fsck” support on persistence partitions
- live-boot: drop ugly hacks when trying to get a DHCP lease
- More live-boot fixes.
- Add ONIE support to live-build and live-boot.
It’s nice to see two derivatives being so active in upstreaming their changes.
Hamster time tracker. I was regularly hit a by a bug leading to a gnome-shell crash (leading to a graphical session crash due to the design of wayland) and this time I decided that enough was enough so I started to dig in the code and did my best to fix the issues I encountered. During the month, I tested multiple versions and submitted three pull requests. Right now, the version in git is working fine for me. Still, it really smells of a bad design that mistakes in shell extensions can have such dramatic consequences.
Packaging. I forwarded #892063 to upstream in a new ticket. I updated zim to version 0.68 (final release replacing release candidate that I had already packaged). I filed #893083 suggesting that the hello source package should be a model for other packages and as such it should have a git repository hosted on salsa.debian.org.
Sponsorship. I sponsored pylint-django 0.9.4-1 for Joseph Herlant. I also sponsored urwid 2.0.1-1 (new upstream version), xlwt 1.3.0-1 (new version with python 3 support), elastalert 0.1.29-1 (new upstream release and RC bug fix) which have been updated for Freexian customers.
See you next month for a new summary of my activities.