My monthly report covers a large part of what I have been doing in the free software world. I write it for my donors (thanks to them!) but also for the wider Debian community because it can give ideas to newcomers and it’s one of the best ways to find volunteers to work with me on projects that matter to me.
I improved the packaging of openvas-scanner and openvas-manager so that they mostly work out of the box with a dedicated redis database pre-configured and with certificates created in the postinst. I merged a patch for cross-build support in mac-robber and another patch from chkrootkit to avoid unexpected noise in quiet mode.
I prepared an update of openscap-daemon to fix the RC bug #896766 and to update to a new upstream release. I pinged the package maintainer to look into the autopkgtest failure (that I did not introduce). I sponsored hashcat 4.1.0.
While it slowed down, I continued to get merge requests. I merged two of them for some newcomer bugs:
- Fixing size of Ubuntu logo and adding some title attributes where missing
- Adding bug panel even when there are no bugs
I reviewed a merge request suggesting to add a “team search” feature.
I did some work of my own too: I fixed many exceptions that have been seen in production with bad incoming emails and with unexpected maintainer emails. I also updated the contributor guide to match the new workflow with salsa and with the new pre-generated database and its associated helper script (to download it and configure the application accordingly). During this process I also filed a GitLab issue about the latest artifact download URL not working as advertised.
I filed many issues (#13 to #19) for things that were only stored in my personal TODO list.
Misc Debian work
Bug Reports. I filed bug #894732 on mk-build-deps to filter build dependencies to include/install based on build profiles. For reprepro, I always found the explanation about FilterList very confusing (bug #895045). I filed and fixed a bug on mirrorbrain with redirection to HTTPS URLs.
I also investigated #894979 and concluded that the CA certificates keystore file generated with OpenJDK 9 is not working properly with OpenJDK 8. This got fixed in ca-certificates-java.
Sponsorship. I sponsored pylint-plugin-utils 0.2.6-2.
Packaging. I uploaded oca-core (still in NEW) and ccextractor for Freexian customers. I also uploaded python-num2words (dependency for oca-core). I fixed the RC bug #891541 on lua-posix.
See you next month for a new summary of my activities.